April 11, 2007

Subscribe to your own Blog feed

There is this cool thing where you can get all (most) of the websites that publish articles to have their content delivered to one spot where you can browse all of it from there. It's nifty and, as many blog readers know, it is called a feed reader. I currently use Google Reader, but there are lots of different ones.

For fun, I decided to subscribe to my own blog in my feed reader. Yes, it is silly, akin to someone carrying a camera around and constantly taking pictures of himself. The benefit of this silliness is that I got to see what feed subscribers might be seeing when they subscribe to my blog!

For some reason, in the feed reader, a post that I posted a long time ago entitled "Never Delete Your Blog" came up as the newest blog post. My first thought was that I had accidentally given it a new date or republished it, but on the blog it didn't appear under the new date, (of course the posts appear by the date you give them, which can be different than the day you actually published if you wish.). I believe that I may have edited that post and for sure I at least added a tag/label. This leads me to believe that maybe either feed readers or feeds change when an old story is relabeled.

I hope this isn't the case as I will be taking the advice of a good Blog tips website (with non-distracting ads by the way) and continuing to add updates to old posts and things that say "This is a link to a more current post I recently wrote." The site I'm talking about is Daily Blog Tips dot com.

The point of this post is to advise bloggers to rock the mullet, but more importantly to subscribe to your own blogs' feed if you use a feed reader. This way, if your feed is glitching, at least you'll know about it. For team blog owners, this is an easy way to check if a team member has put a new post on your blog---while you are feed reading. If this problem continues, I will consult the Blogger Help Group and maybe get a different type of feed. Until then, my blog readers who read via feed will occasionally get to enjoy some classics! (if that's what you call them)

No comments: