April 6, 2007

Sharing Christ as a way of Changing the World

I find that a lot of people around me and the general Christian societal outlook on the state of America is that it is going downhill down a course that all societies of the past have gone at a certain point of success and that there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. (*takes a breath) I used to think that way too, it doesn't have to be this way.

Many of these people seem to have the idea that this is supposed to happen as if it has something to do with the end of the world. I however, see no connection. Every generation since Jesus ascended has claimed that Jesus would come back in their lifetime.

If everyone sits on their hands because they believe that it is inevitable that it will get worse, all the crap that is displayed everywhere, then perhaps it is not fate that is causing all the junk to be more accepted, maybe it is only because no one spoke up.

It is the passivity of, or maybe the disbelief (in their own influence and power) of, previous generations that has caused all the junk to be everywhere and for it all to gain momentum. The very least we could do for future generations is stop it where it is at so that the next generations can roll it back up the hill. I am sick of people just accepting the hell that America is turning into, because they think that the world will end soon. The end of the world could be a thousand years from now. The end of the world would mean massive torture and then eventually hell for all our unsaved friends and family members, therefore, the end of the world coming could never be an excuse to not evangelize.

All it depends on is if this generation and the next will become nearly entirely disciples of Christ. The generation that is running the media and all the junk will be gone, then we'll be old, and our children will be running the show. I don't know any other way to change society than for followers of Christ to uh... follow Christ, and when I say that, I mean actually spreading it.

I have not done enough to tell my friends about Christ, and only because I'm afraid of what they'll think of me. That isn't a good reason. There's an anvil about to fall on their heads and the least I can do is warn them. If I don't warn them, would it not be my fault?

At one time, the world was without morals as it is now, even more so. Then there was an age where morals were spread, and it was pretty bad for those trying to spread it, they'd be forced to fight lions as entertainment, but it couldn't be stopped. If so few under horrible circumstances were able to do it, so can we.

I was thinking about the children I will have when I am grown up; I don't know how I would feel about knowingly raising a child in a world where he or she would be treated as "less mature" for not being immature. I would hate seeing my children in a society where all the crap in the world is labeled as if it is something you're supposed to grow into. At one point I came to this idea that I would never have a child as I couldn't live with the guilt of bringing someone into a world so twisted, but this hope that I have that society will be changed gives me a reason to live.

Many people pray "God's will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven," but they don't believe it is possible. I say that when it comes down to it, the biggest way to change America would be for followers of Jesus to invite others to have God transform them as He has many people. If that happened, then wouldn't our society be better off?

UPDATE: April 9, 2007: Actually if we focus on society it would not be as
effective than if we focused on our own relationships with God and other people
and in the process left major marks on society; but of course we want to see God
save our friends, and that is a part of it.

No comments: