April 20, 2007

Ice Blocking, it's like sledding in the summer

Yesterday I went with a group of guys from church do something called "ice blocking." I had never heard of it before. It was a lot of fun!

My small group leader didn't tell us what we were doing when he called to invite us, only that I needed four dollars and clothes that I wouldn't be afraid to get dirt on. My guess was paintball, but he said that I would never guess what it was, and I didn't! The four dollars paid for pizza and for the blocks of ice.

Now, ice blocking is lots of fun, it's like sledding in the summer. It's just dangerous enough without being too dangerous; it's safe enough that I would be okay with taking a girl on an ice-blocking date, depending on the girl.

When my small group leader told me what we were doing, I thought he was just making something up. What you do is buy a block of ice for each person, then you go to the top of a long and steep hill covered in short grass. Then you fold a towel and put it on top of the ice block. Then you sit on the towel which is on the ice block, grip the towel on the back of the ice block (or wherever), and you push forward with your feet and slide down the hill feet-first and try to keep your balance on the ice block.

It is really cheap fun, $1.50 cheap. And the ice block lasts a long time on grass.

There were five us all going at once, doing races, trying to go down different ways. The best way is just to sit on it. Other competitions we did involved seeing who could go the furthest without falling or slowing down, mostly it was just walking up the hill and sledding down continuously, and at the end we had a contest to see who could throw their ice block the furthest, and surprisingly I won!


Ice blocking, it rocks the mullet.

No comments: