April 4, 2007

C. S. Lewis Complete Signature Classics

A few days ago at Costco I saw a book that interested me. It was blue, and the title was something to the effect of "The Complete Signature Classics of C. S. Lewis." I didn't know that much about C. S. Lewis and I thought it would be just another boring book but I picked it up and read through the first few pages and it wasn't what I expected, I liked it. In it is what appears to be many of the "not-novels" pieces by him all put into one book. The usual downside that you might notice, of a "Complete Works of Author" book is that they try to cram it all in and make the text so small you can barely read it, but this one had a really comfortable and good-sized font.

The style of it was as if he was talking... This is probably because the first book is compiled of transcripts of a radio show he did in college. He goes into a lot of logic but explains it in a way that you aren't overwhelmed. It makes you think, makes you want to. You might be thinking that you wouldn't like it, but I did not think I would like it at all because I don't expect those sort of books to appeal to me.

The cost was around 15 dollars and I suspect that it would cost a lot more buying each of the "signature classics" separately, and I wanted to read more, so I got it.

I am curious to see what the writer's style is when he is writing as writing and how it compares to what I'm reading through now.

No comments: