April 13, 2007

Stand up to Bullies

Today at lunch I was sexually harassed. By a stranger. A fellow student, a relative of a friend, someone I never met.

But this wasn't one of those situations where I'd be a victim who ends up feeling less powerful. No, I've had that before, this time was going to be different. I pretty much got right back in the person's face (not literally, but with my words), and I basically said that this is wrong and I wasn't afraid to tell the principal about it and get him in trouble. I also referenced a previous time that I threatened to tell on someone and that this wasn't anything that I hadn't fought against before and I wasn't going to be intimidated or afraid.

I said those words, and I got mad and left the lunch room and went to my next class 15 minutes early.

Halfway through the class period, I realized that I was really mad, rightly so, and that if I didn't forgive the person in my heart that it would rob me of my joy and ruin my day, which could turn into a week, which could turn into a month, a year, and so on. What I did was I walked to the bathroom, (our art rooms have one-person bathrooms in the art studio buildings), and I prayed that I hated what he did to me. I want nothing to do with him. It's wrong. It hurt me, and I don't plan to say "I forgive you" to his face (I'll probably never see him again and he'll probably never ask for forgiveness). So I said, "I forgive him" and I prayed that God would bless him and that he wouldn't try to do that to anyone anymore.

At the same time, I had realized that I had been sexually harassed before in my life, about once every three years or so, and that doesn't just happen randomly. No. I don't think that other people get that kind of treatment. Understand that I believe in God and Satan and Angels and Demons and I believe that they have assignments on people. Call it superstitious if you want. Could it be possible that there was an assignment against me in which evil spirits attempted to get people to treat me that way?

Know that I don't blame God or Satan for everything, a lot of things are just life. But it just can't always be random and it can't always be just life. Based on what I believe to be true, and I don't accept things at face value... I can vouch for times when someone would pray for me and it would change how people treated me or my emotions in a positive way, and some of those positive changes have stuck with me ever since those instances of praying to this day.

This, I have finally come to realize, could not be one of those things that are "just life". Not logically likely. So I also broke off all evil spirits and any assignments against me. Yeah, I believe in curses. I broke those off too, and God did. I don't know how someone can go living on Earth without believing in those things, but then again not everyone has seen and experienced what I've seen, many have seen more and many have seen less.

I hope that anyone reading this realizes that that sort of thing is wrong and no one should ever do that. And if you ever get harassed--I pray that that would never happen to anyone reading this--, but if it does happen... just get really mad, quick. Clench your fists, speak to their consciences, get away quickly, threaten to tell the authorities. If they call you a tattletale, I would not care about a creep's opinion. Don't take it. You don't have to take it.

I also find it strange that this happened at a time when I was beginning to enjoy living again. I was really happy. Demons don't like that. Now they're writhing in pain.

I've felt closer to God lately than I have in a long time. I ended up enjoying the rest of the day. We win.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just think of how these people are going to end up when you get out of high school. you won't encounter this in the real world after 12th grade. My favorite thing to say in school was "high school is not real life." Grown ups tend to be respectful or at most poke fun in a joking way.