April 12, 2007

Idea: Class President Campaign (drift to) too-expensive Calculators

I was thinking about thinking about running for class president next year at school. The thing is that right now we have a really solid class president which we've had for two years and I expect him to run again. I'm not sure what my campaign would be like. Maybe all I have to do is merely tell the truth about me?

I could talk about how in the lunch room last year no one could hear the lunch bell signaling the end of lunch. What happened was that every class that was after lunch had a lot of tardies, which makes sense because there was nothing to signal the end of lunch. I got a detention from those tardies, me! So, what I did was I wrote a letter to the principal about how no one could ever hear the bell at lunch, that it is good to punish people who went against the school rules, but we also needed the ability to follow them! So, I talked to the principal, and now we can hear the lunch bell and we know when the end of lunch is, a big problem solved.

Most people don't know that it was me who said something, but that's good because then I'll get a better reward for it someday, but now that I am publishing this in a blog, well I guess that I've lost the reward because I've announced the good deed like a trumpeting Pharisee.

I wonder how it works, because my real name isn't attached to this post or blog or anywhere on the Internet. Maybe I'll get half the reward. We'll find out someday, it will be fun.

So I could maybe run with a campaign that addresses issues that I'd like to see solved in our school. Like maybe let's have one of the dances be way different from the other dances. Like we could do a Swing Dance theme and (I don't know) actually play Swing Music, then maybe the school dance would be more like a (hmm...) dance! We would have to market and be clear that if you like how school dances have been, then you don't want to come this one because it will be way different. But that's not as a serious issue, though definitely important.

Another important issue is that students must do a certain amount of hours of community service in order to graduate, which I think is a great thing! (But) the problem is that students are not allowed to get started on the community service until their Junior year, and by this time, quite a number of students have jobs that take up their time. A student who is planning to work starting the Summer before his Junior Year may want to get the community service done before the end of the school year, but can't because of the rule. I believe that a rule that says "you can't start working on a graduate requirement until a certain time" is not motivating.

Maybe that doesn't seem so bad, but there are even worse results of this problem. In some other school districts, students can do their community service any time they want, as early as Ninth grade. Some students in those school districts do. Further, some of those students come to our school and discover that their community service does not count and they have to do it all over again! Some of my friends have to. My opinion is that they should at least allow students from these other school districts who've done their community service already to have it count.

Another thing I'd like to see in place is some way to ease the cost of those 100 dollar calculators. Maybe that's easy for you, but for me, I almost dropped the course because I did not want to waste money on something overpriced. I believe that the calculator makers are price-gouging. Don't believe me? Here's why. In the marked of graphing calculators, there are basically two ways to go: "Texas Instruments" and "Casio" brands. One costs more than the other. The one that the general public is most efficient in, the one that the books and teachers teach you how to use, is the one that costs most. Both calculators do the same things, just in different ways, and it can be tough to adjust if you have the one that no one else has. (Maybe) a far cry from being like Mac and PC.

Is it possible that this brand knows that it is endorsed and more needed and therefore can charge more? I suppose that my guess could be simply proven by someone who lives in an area where Casio's are endorsed and telling me which one costs more... maybe this is just me and my typical anti-high-price deal.

Anyway, back to the pointizzle. There might actually be a program in there to help to ease the cost of overpriced graphing calculators. I fortunately did not get to the point of checking that because, fortunately, a friend of mine who is a Senior did not need his calculator anymore so he gave it to me!

And that is the way our topics drift early in the evening!

No comments: