April 19, 2007

Halo 2 Maps: A Happy Change of Policy for Microsoft?

I used to play Halo 2 on my Xbox 1 on LIVE. I find it really ironic that one of the reasons why I didn't renew my Xbox LIVE subscription turned out to not happen. It was announced some time ago that two new maps for Halo 2 would be Xbox 360-exclusive, which was "the straw that broke the camel's back" and turned me away from Microsoft gaming, because Bungie (the company that makes Halo) said that Microsoft was the one who made the decision. So don't blame Bungie!

This is the funny part: I found out that the Halo 2 maps are actually going to release for both consoles. This makes a whole lotta more sense since Halo 2 was not only made for, but runs better on, Xbox 1.

Well at least I don't have to deal with deciding whether to use to Xbox communicator headset today or not: (link to post about the unmoderated choice words that are prevalent on LIVE)

Even though I have left the online part of Xbox gaming, and don't foresee myself ever valuing a console at 400 dollars, I still care about all the folks I left behind on LIVE, so the news that Microsoft are showing in some way that they care about their customers enough did make me happy! Here's why:

I was glad to see this unexpected turnaround for Microsoft. Little things like how they did the "premium/core" packaging scam, the "let's release maps for an Xbox 1 game except only release it for the Xbox 360"... as good as money is, there were things that made it too obvious that they were out for MORE money.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I believe that money is a good thing. I'm fine with a company trying hard to get me to pay them money, because in order to do that, they'll have to impress me with a solid product and not have any motives to trick me out of more cash. If I am ever buying a refrigerator at a store and the seller tries to get me to buy a warranty on the fridge, I would say, "Oh, you're expecting it to break down? It must not be that good then, see you later!"

What is taking it too far is when a company makes it too blatantly obvious. Some friends that I knew were into Halo 2 may have said, "this thing with only releasing the maps for Xbox 360, it's a marketing scheme." Yes, but I never saw how something can become okay just because it'll make someone money.

This thing with the newest Halo 2 maps being released for both consoles, that made me happy and made me say, "this is a good thing they're doing. I am happy for all my friends who are fans of Microsoft games."

Recently, I found out, from a visit to one of my old favorite Halo 2 communities, that Microsoft is running advertisements on their Xbox 360 Dashboards! Even this is way below Microsoft's standard. The money for the console, game, and LIVE weren't enough? That's too bad.

Unfortunately, it seems that Microsoft is going to push their consumers to the limit. If this is a bandwagon, then I would try to stop its course, but I already jumped off a couple miles back and I'm waving at it through binoculars.

3 comments:

Jason Guidry said...

Microsoft is trying to own our souls.

About the new maps: I don't know if you're aware of this, but I do believe it's possible to get the new maps with only a Silver Xbox LIVE acount. I'm told that you'll still need a credit card (one that you get from a gas station would work) when you go to purchase them though.

Also, have you heard of Xbox Connect? My friends and I use that instead of Xbox LIVE to play Halo 2. It's like a large System Link setup.

-Jason

SDtektiv said...

All I have is a broken Xbox 1 and a working Xbox 1 that I'm borrowing from a friend. I'm sure that my friend would find it to be a happy surprise if he discovered that I bought him the two new Halo 2 maps as a "thank you gift."

I don't know if it is possible to connect to LIVE for free to download maps on an Xbox 1.

...

I looked around the Xbox Connect site, and I think it might be a little too complicated. I might be buying a Wii soon anyway. Thanks for the tip though!

Unknown said...

being a bit overdramatic? these maps are $4. i'm with you on the price of the 360 but i now have trouble going back to xbox 1 because of the social gaming experience that is the 360. Your complaint about the nasty talk in Halo 2 is valid and really i think it's the #1 problem people have with halo 2 multiplayer. That's what the "a-hole button" is for in Halo 3. You can very quickly mute someone in Halo 3 probably without dying. You can even mute people in matchmaking before a game starts. These per-person mute settings stay across all halo 3 sessions until you change them. I intend to use this feature a LOT to mute jerks as soon as I hear their garbage. I really think that solves the problem of nasty talk. you can also do this in other games through the 360 but it takes longer.

the 360 premium is still way cheaper than a PS3. the library of games is really starting to get good, too. especially if you count this year's games: halo 3, bioshock, alan wake, forza 2, command and conquer 3, mass effect, rainbow six vegas, gears (i hate gears though), LOTR:BFME II, blue dragon, viva pinata, guitar hero 2, ddr universe, assassin's creed, brothers in arms: hell's highway, it has tons of great games. if you want it but you can't afford it, save up.