January 3, 2007

All those Google Ads

At one time, before I came to Blogger and perhaps before I even knew exactly what a blog was supposed to be, Blogger offered you to have your own domain and just use Blogger as a platform. Of course, you'd have to find a service to give you a domain and you'd have to pay for it, but another option they had was for you to use a "blog*spot" address hosted for free. Wait? Isn't this the way it runs today? Yes, but the difference was that when you had it hosted for free on a blog*spot address, it came with something. Ads.

I found this out when I watched a "Learning Blogger" video discussing the pros and cons of having your own domain verses using a free blog*spot address. Blogger Article: Learning Blogger

Today, somehow, Blogger can give you the platform and the hosting for free, without ads. Today, there is no "premium" version to pay for--all of the services are built-in to one solid, free version of Blogger.

They even allow you access to your code; a service that I saw as something you had to pay for on a different blogging platform.

So, why am I even typing this post? Well, it seems that today, some bloggers are putting in ads on their blog, to make a little money I suppose. My question is, "Why do it?" Blogger is finally ad-free but now you can find that some bloggers choose to pepper their blogs with ads.

At least though, these are mostly calm, text-based "Ads by Google", and not the flashy, sound-and-light-show, "make billy the hamster pounce on three Q-tips and win an iPod", "You've won (must complete seventeen offers)", light-electric disco mania ads.

There is a bright side to this. Because Blogger is owned by Google, Blogger is likely getting some of the profit from the Google ads that some bloggers opt to use. I bet that there are actually more ads on blog*spot addresses now than when they were mandatory. My conclusion is that Google/Blogger won't need to put mandatory banner ads on blog*spot-address blogs because... us bloggers at large have done it for them.

What people do with their blogs is none of my business. Because of all the ad-filled blogs, I might not ever be forced to have ads on my blog. Your ads are probably paying partially for Blogger's servers; in a way, you're taking the ads so I don't have to, and I appreciate that. But as for me? When it comes to visiting one of two sites about the same thing--one has ads, the other doesn't--it's obvious which one I'll be more likely to visit. That's my take on it.

No comments: