May 11, 2007

Should I Start a New Blog?

Something I'm considering is just starting a new blog. Starting... "afresh." You see, any chance I get, I love changing an adjective into a noun by adding an "a", and also I've become a lot better at blogging. Really, this blog right here was my very first blog, (well sort of) and it went bye-bye when I got into the Halo 2 community scene... after saying something and interacting in a community and getting replies, I pretty much got all I had to say "out", there was no need for a blog, but I still blogged a little about Halo 2 (http://sdtektivh2.blogspot.com)

Maybe it is time for an old blog to be an old blog.

Maybe I should just redo this one?

I don't know if I'm going to stick with the name "SDtektiv." "SDtektiv" is just a name I use online. The idea of it was so that I could be under the protection of being anonymous--I could be more "real" since it isn't my real name. If you're randomly stumbling across this you're probably like, "what's the big deal?"

I've gotten to the point that a good few people know of "SDtektiv", and I have to reluctantly admit that I care a little about the reputation of "SDtektiv". I think that I would benefit from shedding this name and all the stuff I said under this name and starting "a-pristine." (Okay, so you can't add "a" to just any adjective.)

If I ever became a rapper, I'm not sure if I'd want to use the name "SDtektiv." If I did that, then my real self would be associated with it and I'd have to account for all the stuff I've said in my blog from years ago. That stuff comes back to haunt you. I mean, my opinions are going to change, and what I said before I wouldn't neccessarily agree with or the way I said it. Okay, maybe that wouldn't be too bad, but what if I run for President after that? I am not planning on it, but there's always the chance.

If I ran for President, I'd have to account for everything short of how I stole someone's fruit cup in the third grade. I don't remember if I did, and that's the point!

I want to switch to something else. And if I do, then the new blog can't just be a reinvention of this one, because the URL of this blog has "SDtektiv" in it. And you simply cannot change the URL of a blog. You can, but it's a bad choice. There are links to this URL that I have put out there, in emails to friends and in forums... this URL would have some value and so evil spammers would take over the old URL if I ever changed this URL. And since those links are out there, people would think it was my blog.

I've heard that WordPress is really good, but I did try it once before and was confused by it, and I do like Blogger.

Back to the name thing. Something I was considering was using my real name. But soon we'd run into problems. If I used my real name in my blog, I'd still be using my old email address, and I'd still want to comment on the same peoples' blogs and have those comments link to the new blog. If I commented under my real name, the other people wouldn't know that it was me, because in that sense my moniker "SDtektiv" is almost more real than my real name, as all the shared experiences occured under this name.

Also there is the fact that some people might be more open to me if I type under a different name because then it wouldn't be hard for them to see through the opinions they have of SDtektiv, since I wouldn't be typing as SDtektiv.

I think I'm overcomplicating things.

No comments: